I’ve been working on decorating my office space, and though I managed to get some inexpensive storage options at the thrift store (big jars with floral decoration!), I can’t really afford to buy new speakers (it’d be a waste, mostly because I don’t use them that often, but they’re handy to have around).
They aren’t pretty, and to me they stick out a bit too much between all the other colorful things I’ve been trying to work onto my desk. Because what bothers me most about the room is that it isn’t very colorful (the walls are lined with black binders, the archive of my dad’s architectural firm).
So yesterday I came up with an idea to make them a bit more “me” 🙂
I measured the speakers and made a pattern from those measurements. I drew the placement for the lace on to my cut out pattern pieces, and top stitched the lace on to the cotton fabric. Then I cut away the excess lace, and the cotton beneath it and fray checked those edges (my first time using fray check! I wanted to be quick :)). Then I made the holes for the knobs on one of the covers: one hole I did using the machine buttonhole stitch, working it in a circle, the other one I hand-worked which turned out better. I cut away the fabric inside these stitches, and fray checked that too. Finally, I sewed the cover into it’s shape along the top and back edges – finished!
This wasn’t an urgent project, more of a “make something – anything!” sort of thing. Since I’m still in the non-sewing stages of planning the collection (choosing fabric and swatches, drafting patterns etc.), I sometimes feel like I’m not really doing anything. This was a nice excuse to use my sewing machine, and to practice hand-worked buttonholes when making the holes for the knobs on one of the speaker covers.
The covers aren’t perfect, but I’m very happy about them. They’re so kitsch-y and a little ridiculous, that I can’t help but smile when I look at them now! Plus I managed to get a bit more of my favorite color onto my desk 🙂